Alcohol and Drug Education Traffic School (Will meet most out of state minimum requirements for a DUI)


Your ADETS Questions Answered:


Will I have to complete ADETS (education) and treatment for the same conviction?

  • No. Your DWI assessment will recommend that you complete ADETS (education) or treatment.

I live in another state, but was convicted of a DWI in North Carolina. What must I do to clear the block off my license from North Carolina?

  • You must complete a substance abuse assessment, substance abuse education, and/or substance abuse treatment in your state (outside of North Carolina).
  • Documentation of the out-of-state assessment, treatment, and/or education must be reviewed and approved by an authorized North Carolina DWI services provider.
  • Note: Any authorized DWI service provider in North Carolina can be selected to do the “Out of State Review,” regardless of the location of the provider.
  • The authorized North Carolina DWI provider will complete the review, process the information, and complete a Certificate of Completion (e-508 form) in order to resolve the outstnding DWI offense on your North Carolina record. (You should receive a copy of the certificate).

I completed a program while I was in the military or while I was incarcerated. May the program/services be used to meet my requirements?

  • It depends on the content of the program/services.
  • Contact an authorized provider from North Carolina who will conduct a review of the program/services that you completed.

I completed my assessment. How long can I wait before starting the recommended treatment or education?

  • 6 months. (After 6 months, the assessment expires and you will have to complete and pay for another assessment.)

What requirements would I have to meet in order to be eligible to be referred to Alcohol and Drug Education Traffic School (ADETS) instead of treatment?

  • You have no previous DWI offense conviction in your lifetime, and
  • You did not refuse to submit to a chemical test, and
  • Your BAC was 0.14% or less at the time of your arrest, and
  • Your assessment does not identify a substance abuse handicap (i.e. abuse or dependence), and
  • You meet the admission criteria for Level 0.5 (Early Intervention) of ASAM PPC-2

How much does ADETS (education program) cost and how many contact hours is the program?

  • Cost: $160
  • Hours: 16 contact hours over a minimum of 5 days

If I don’t qualify for ADETS (education), what are the other levels of treatment that I could be recommended to complete?

  • Short Term Outpatient Treatment – (Minimum of 20 contact hours over a minimum of 30 days)
  • Longer Term Outpatient Treatment – (Minimum of 40 contact hours over a minimum of 60 days)
  • Day Treatment/Intensive Outpatient Treatment – (Minimum 90 hours over a minimum of 90 days)
  • Inpatient/Residential Treatment – (Minimum 90 days)
  • If the content of the program/services are deemed appropriate, the authorized provider from North Carolina will generate the Certificate of Completion (508-R Form) that is required by DMV to lift the “block” off your license.