Alcohol and Drug Education Traffic School (Will meet most out of state minimum requirements for a DUI)
Your ADETS Questions Answered:
Will I have to complete ADETS (education) and treatment for the same conviction?
- No. Your DWI assessment will recommend that you complete ADETS (education) or treatment.
I live in another state, but was convicted of a DWI in North Carolina. What must I do to clear the block off my license from North Carolina?
- You must complete a substance abuse assessment, substance abuse education, and/or substance abuse treatment in your state (outside of North Carolina).
- Documentation of the out-of-state assessment, treatment, and/or education must be reviewed and approved by an authorized North Carolina DWI services provider.
- Note: Any authorized DWI service provider in North Carolina can be selected to do the “Out of State Review,” regardless of the location of the provider.
- The authorized North Carolina DWI provider will complete the review, process the information, and complete a Certificate of Completion (e-508 form) in order to resolve the outstnding DWI offense on your North Carolina record. (You should receive a copy of the certificate).
I completed a program while I was in the military or while I was incarcerated. May the program/services be used to meet my requirements?
- It depends on the content of the program/services.
- Contact an authorized provider from North Carolina who will conduct a review of the program/services that you completed.
I completed my assessment. How long can I wait before starting the recommended treatment or education?
- 6 months. (After 6 months, the assessment expires and you will have to complete and pay for another assessment.)
What requirements would I have to meet in order to be eligible to be referred to Alcohol and Drug Education Traffic School (ADETS) instead of treatment?
- You have no previous DWI offense conviction in your lifetime, and
- You did not refuse to submit to a chemical test, and
- Your BAC was 0.14% or less at the time of your arrest, and
- Your assessment does not identify a substance abuse handicap (i.e. abuse or dependence), and
- You meet the admission criteria for Level 0.5 (Early Intervention) of ASAM PPC-2
How much does ADETS (education program) cost and how many contact hours is the program?
- Cost: $160
- Hours: 16 contact hours over a minimum of 5 days
If I don’t qualify for ADETS (education), what are the other levels of treatment that I could be recommended to complete?
- Short Term Outpatient Treatment – (Minimum of 20 contact hours over a minimum of 30 days)
- Longer Term Outpatient Treatment – (Minimum of 40 contact hours over a minimum of 60 days)
- Day Treatment/Intensive Outpatient Treatment – (Minimum 90 hours over a minimum of 90 days)
- Inpatient/Residential Treatment – (Minimum 90 days)
- If the content of the program/services are deemed appropriate, the authorized provider from North Carolina will generate the Certificate of Completion (508-R Form) that is required by DMV to lift the “block” off your license.